Exercise with your kids! This doesn’t have to be stressful – or work – make it fun! Or, I’ll just let ya’ll borrow Baby J for a day. That should take care of your exercise for a week. How do you think I lost my baby-weight? Chasing around my whirling dervish who leaves a horrific path of destruction in her wake…
But I digress…
The weather has been unusally warm in Oklahoma – but we all know that it won’t last. So here are some handy dandy ideas for keeping active with your kids this Winter!
- Lead by example – if you don’t ever exercise or if you complain about exercising – chances are your kids aren’t going to want to do it either…(so Marnie, quit your bellyaching…)
Studies show there are just as many benefits for kids as adults –
i. Healthy weight
ii. Less likely to get sick
iii. Increased sleep quality
iv. Improved mood (umm – YES please.)
v. Helps develop fine motor skills
vi. Decreases risk of ADD
- Start with something familiar: It is good to start with activities that both you and your child know how to do. Participating in activities your child is comfortable with will build their love for being active and give them confidence so they will want to continue.
- Keep it competitive: This challenges everyone to give the activity their all. If you are swimming – for example – see who can do the most laps in a certain amount of time. Be sure to keep the competitions friendly and positive. Negative words and actions can turn a child off very quickly. Winning isn’t the goal – having fun as a family and getting exercise is our goal.
- Variety: Kids also get bored easily, so doing a variety of activities throughout the summer will alleviate that and keep the kids (and you) interested in staying active.
- Try something new: Trying a new activity as a family strengthens the bond because everyone is experiencing something together as a family. Everyone is in the same boat.
Ideas for Indoor Activities:
- Designate a place where kids can roll, jump, move around – I would not suggest the formal dining room with Grandma’s antique china….
- Dance contests
- Build an indoor obstacle course
- Scavenger hunts – (tip: Just don’t hide something like raw eggs and then forget about them…it doesn’t really smell very good after a few weeks. Trust.)
- Old fashioned games such as Ring around the Rosie/London Bridges/ Simon Says/Follow the Leader (Baby J’s fav – Ring Around the Rosie. It can really get your heart rate up when you have to do it like 500 times in a row…)
- Video games like Wii Fitness
- “Circus Acts” – put on a family circus with jump roping, hula hoops, juggling (Shane could do a one-man circus show with all his stupid-human-tricks…)
- Family Talent Show
- Make a game of cleaning house – yes people – it can be done. As long as you aren’t too picky about the term “cleanliness”…
- Go to Rock Climbing Gym.
So there you go. No excuses to sit on your hiney when the weather is cold and frightful. Because being active with your family can be delightful….(yes, I know, that was bad). Happy exercising!